Saturday, April 20, 2013

Beer: Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout


Lexington, Kentucky's Alltech Brewing (terrible name) has been responsible for one of my favorite bourbon barrel aged ales, Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. When I saw a new variation in their lineup, I had to try it. And I'm glad I did.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout is, as the name states, a dark ale aged in bourbon barrels. It's also aged with Haitian coffee, so it's an exotic treat already! Pours a deep, opaque black with ruby highlights. Fair head with tan bubbles, but very little lace. Nose is roasty coffee. I don't sense much of the oak barrels here, but as I love coffee, this is still pretty damned nice.

Taste is definitely coffee-dominant, with an aftertaste/finish that shows a bit of the bourbon whiskey character. This is really a nice, easy-drinking brew to sip (it's a stiff 8% ABV), and a must-try for coffee-beer fans. And it's a much more affordable (at $12-14 per 4 pk.) option for Bourbon County Barrel Stout fans. I'll buy this one again, for certain.

No comments: